Thursday, October 11, 2007

Red Beans and Rice



I promised you all a new recipe, so here you go. I got this recipe from someone that I met when we lived in Guam. She was originally from New Orleans where they make this type of meal. I am originally from Minnesota, land of the hotdish and bland, bland food. So to say that this is a bit of a departure from what I was used to is a bit of an understatement. I love this meal!

Ingredients

Dry Red Beans
Turkey Sausage, sliced into fun moon shapes (see picture)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/3 - 1/2 bag of baby carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
Lawry's Season Salt
Dried Oregano
Dried Parsley
Rice
Crock pot

Soak the beans overnight in water with a tablespoon of baking powder, or is it baking soda? Does it matter? I'm not sure. I have soaked without either. In the morning, rinse and pick out the bad beans... those are the floaters. Place in crock pot. Cover the beans with water to about 1 inch above the beans. Add onions, carrots, and celery. Here's where it gets technical, so pay attention. Sprinkle the Lawry's over the water so that it is covered with a layer and you can't see what's in the water. Then shake the oregano and parsley a whole bunch of times so it looks like you have enough (probably about a couple of teaspoons of each). Turn crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours. When you have about 2 hours left, start mashing the mixture against the crock pot. This helps to thicken it up. Do this every 15 minutes or so or until it looks good. Brown the sausage and add to the beans. Serve with rice. It makes a bunch, so have friends over or plan on eating leftovers for a couple of days.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

kmm said...

mmm that looks good. Not sure I am brave enough to try it though. Somehow I manage to burn everything I try to cook in the crock pot. On another note, I wrote down the ratatouille recipe for you. I will try to catch you tomorrow to give it to you.

amy said...

be brave, everyone. i've had it and it's awesome. thanks for reminding me! and sure, we'll come over and eat with you when you make it. Thanks for the invite. =)

Anonymous said...

loved your last two recipes, but I think I'll stick with my own red beans and rice. This one is entirely to complicated.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy. I suspect it is baking soda with its drawing action. Maybe E & LB will need Sriracha sauce as well.