Monday, March 3, 2008

What Do YOU Do When You're Alone?

E left us for 3 days for a fun-filled work retreat, complete with briefs and brainstorming sessions. I'm sure there isn't anywhere else he would rather be. Of course, to me, that sounds like a fabulous way to spend 3 days... especially the lone hotel nights.

Anyway, when the kids are finally down for the night and I have the house all to myself... what is it that I do? Watch a movie, take a bath, curl up with a good book, surf the internet?? Not even close. I clean. Sick, twisted, insane... believe me, I know, but there really is something so calming about order to me.

I think I first realized this problem of mine when I was in college. When I had a big test to study for or a important paper to write, I would first clean my dorm room and later my apartment. That way, I would have a fresh slate and a clutter free mind... no distractions to speak of. And yes, I do realize that this is also a form of procrastination. My motto used to be, 'The last minute is just as good as any other minute.'

Every since having kids, it has gotten worse. Whenever I get angry or frustrated, I start picking up the house or cleaning the kitchen counters. I guess it's my way of taking control of such a control-less environment. For the most part, our kids are great. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but kids are not 100% controllable. I guess no one is 100% controllable, but you do get a higher percentage when dealing with contemporaries in a management situation. So, I guess I grab hold of the one thing that I can 100% control and that is the cleanliness and organization of my home. Because this is my sanctuary and it should make me feel good, right?

So, yes, I am in need of a good psychologist, but in the meantime... I am off to clean another room and maybe organize a closet.

But I want to know...

what do you do when you are alone?

5 comments:

Chastity said...

I'll tell you what I don't do when I'm along, and that is CLEAN! I hate to clean.

Jacinda said...

I putz around. A combination of eating, cleaning, mess making, moving things around, baking, list writing and staying up til the wee hours of the morning crocheting bunnies. I don't know why, I have a hard time falling asleep when Rick isn't here. He is in Hawaii "on business" right now.

Anonymous said...

At least you're doing something productive right?! :)

I become a night owl. Hubs did 2 weeks of training in Pensacola last summer, then another week at Fort Custer with the midshipmen and I just watched late tv, worked late, worked on projects. Its crazy how when he's home, I can't get enough sleep but when he's gone, I revert back to being able to plug along on a few hours.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I count because H is gone a bunch. I open all the back doors let the fresh air in, let the kids run in and out of the house non stop. Including, but not limited to, spraying the water hose everywhere. Also, I work on decorating projects, like right now I'm only a quarter of the way done repainting the dining room chairs. Yes, these are the stained wood chairs from our set in Guam. The reason for the doors? H always keeps us closed in when he's home. Every door is always shut and locked immediately. I think he just was brought up that way. I'm from Texas where it is usually pretty mild. He is from Seattle. But cleaning, HA! You know me, I still have someone do it for me.

Anonymous said...

When I'm alone...I dream about people who love to clean and how I would love them to come over and help me.:)
Ok, ok....I read. A LOT! Because its hard for me to really do it during the week and the 5 minutes I get in bed before I pass out from sheer exhaustion don't count. I do love order though. I just hate to be the one ordering? lol