Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Whew... Thank God that's Done!


So, I'm not the type of person known to say 'No', when asked to help. I will volunteer for everything thinking that I can do everything. I don't know, I must have a God complex or something. Anyway...

I got a call a while back from our PTA volunteer coordinator asking me if I was available on a particular day. I immediately said, 'Yes', and apparently didn't listen to the rest of the conversation. Turns out, what I said yes to was to be the coordinator for the fall fundraiser at our school. Huh? What's that? What does it involve? I have a Kindergartner... I have no idea how this stuff works.

Along with my, 'I can do everything' attitude, also comes the, 'why bother bothering others when I can do it myself?' idea. I mean, if it is going to take me a while to figure out what I am doing, I certainly don't want to waste other peoples' time. Plus, I like my own way of organizing things... again, it's a control thing. Amazing that I did really well in management, as I am obviously not great at delegating.

So, I did most everything for this fundraiser, with a little help along the way. I roped E into counting money with me one night. He said, 'There are so many better things that I could be doing', and my response was, 'But are you going to be doing them?'. OK, not that I am trying to pat myself on the back. That's the furthest thing from what I am trying to do. I am trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me? Why can't I say no? What's wrong with letting others help? Why do I get myself into the predicaments that I do? Ahh... self evaluation is so much fun.

I don't have time to ponder as I am off to do a training manual project for work that I volunteered to do. Oh, the irony.

2 comments:

The A Team said...

You did a GREAT job! Now get to work....HeHe

amy said...

there are always those who will say yes, and that makes us no-sayers feel a little better about saying "no". i'm sure you did a fantastic job, whatever it was.