Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Beautifully Strange Morning

So, this morning, I rode my bike down to Cannery Row to pick up my car from the ramp. Wait, rewind. My beautifully strange morning started as an almost equally strange night. Let's start there.

I worked last night until about 9:45. Normally, ATOM is open until 6, but on the last Friday of every month we stay open until 9 and serve wines by the glass. We have live music and the restaurant downstairs has appetizers for sale. It's a really fun time. Anyway, it was my boss' 29th birthday (yeah, I know) yesterday and everyone was going to go out after work to celebrate. I thought it would be fun to act like I was young again, so we hired a babysitter from 5-12 so E could come play too. So, long story short, we had a great time, stayed out until 1 and did the responsible thing and took a cab home.

Back to me on my bike. I was truly enjoying my ride this morning. The weather was gorgeous... clear and sunny, but not hot. A day kind of like this...


I had to reflect on how really nice it is here and that I am going to miss living here. The majority of my ride was along the water on the bike/walking path, which is a fabulous place to people watch... people running with dogs and strollers, the professional bike enthusiasts and the many, many tourists.

The first interesting group I came across were the Del Monte beach homeless club? I have never seen the homeless as I have seen them here, they almost seem to be enjoying it. Then, I passed by a group of Japanese men dressed to the 9s... white and black tuxedos (9:30 AM people) taking a picture of something/someone in the public restroom and laughing. I am still wondering what the heck was going on.

I arrived at my destination, rode up the elevator with my bike and found my car waiting. The ramp that I parked in is the main large ramp that everyone visiting Cannery Row parks in. So I casually walked my bike to my car, pretending that I just finished a gruelling workout and tried not to attract too much attention. I certainly don't want to be the subject of someone else's blog about their strange morning. I opened the liftgate on my SUV and was welcomed with a trunk filled to the brim with birthday presents for KK. I had completely forgotten that I had left her presents back there so she wouldn't find them. And these weren't small presents... I am talking about one of those cozy coupe ride-on cars in a huge box. As you can imagine, the amount of time that I spent arranging and rearranging the contents of my car was quite substantial. I finally managed to get the darn thing in there and I have no doubt that everybody who walked by me was wondering what the heck I was doing.

We either need to invest in another car or a bike rack or just go back to staying at home and save the trouble and money.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn, I thought we might make the blog... Did you get any change back from the cab driver? Just kiddin'.

We had a great time last night. Hope you guys did too. We spent most of this beautiful Saturday recovering in bed...

One Crazy Adventure said...

Nick and Jen made our night oh so enjoyable. And they paid for our cab ride home. You can't ask for better friends. Thank you!!